Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

It's Been a Long Journey

Yes, I know I set my intention to stay put in Oaxaca. And I know that once I settled into my life I stopped posting to this blog. And when I moved to Chiang Mai, Thailand, last March I was embarrassed (after all, I was going to finally stay put), so I didn't post. And before I was able to decide whether or not to start a new blog, I moved back to Oaxaca!
WHEW!

So here I am, a month to the day back home in this beautiful city. I know better than to say I will be here permanently. My new intention is to make Oaxaca my home base and if -- not when -- my feet start itching again, to take trips and return home.

Oaxaca is human scale, walkable, a treat for my eyes. My friends here are a treat for my heart. The sounds here are only sometimes a treat for my ears: the birds singing, the brass bands. But Mexico is very noisy. The fiestas accompanied by firecracker bombs are something I don't think I'll ever adjust to, yet when I hear the bands and see the colorful costumed marchers I still think to myself how hard it is for me to be depressed here.


No comments:

Post a Comment